Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:06:55 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joao Barros <joao.barros@gmail.com>, Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran@rcn.com>, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

--nextPart1781470.KER9S0gyGh

> That's it on my loader.conf and for months now I haven't seen a panic.
> Why should I or anyone else happilly running ZFS on i386 be denied of
> doing so?

100% agreement.

If you want to go to extremes, require the user to put=20
zfs.zfs.run_on_32_bit_and_i_understand_i_am_an_idiot_and_this_is_not_recomm=
ended=3D1=20
in loader.conf, or else have the kernel panic by design on boot.

But don't make it totally impossible without patching the source, *please*.

Obviously the exception is if development for i386 stops such that it actua=
lly=20
does not work. But disallowing it for artificial reasons... please leave=20
things like that to proprietary hardware/software vendors trying to squeeze=
=20
money of out consumers, and leave it out of a free operation system.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org