Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 21:47:14 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 12:22:53PM -0700, Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'd like to see it take on eg. a 1GHz K7 or a 4-way 800MHz PIII/Xeon box.

Ok, does vinum take advantage of MP system for parity calculation?
Actually I don't know anything about this PowerPC processor line, so..
What I said was based on the IBM instructor talk about a month ago or
so. Well, where's the truth and who I can trust, eh?

> > Anyway I think for degraded mode you'll definitely need separate
> > processing unit to offload parity calculations from host processor, else
> > the system will calculate parity not service users. That's theory, of
> > course, but it seems so obvious. Am I missing something? All this
> > discussion seems quite unnecessary in that light for me.
>
> Having dedicated hardware for offloading this sort of work is nice when
> the host is saturated.  If it's not, then it's unnecessary.  Your call;
> personally I like the hardware.

Exactly, but I always think that big systems are for big work and are
always near to saturation on peak hours and the likelyhood of disk
failures and degraded mode is in the same timeslot.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee