Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:32:39 -0500
From:      "Robert E. Johnson, P.E." <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        barbish@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal private IP address standards?

> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 09:52:31 -0500
> From: "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
> Subject: internal private IP address standards?
>
> When setting up a new FBSD box and LAN environment behind it,
> what are the rules or standards for selecting the IP address
> numbering scheme. I have read unrelated documentation that calls
> this the internal IP address scheme or private IP address.
> The mandatory requirement is that these IP numbers will never
> be seen by the out side world. That being said, I take it that
> I can use any IP address numbers I want.

Not any IP address.  As already mentioned, there are blocks
of addresses reserved for private networks.  What you have
to watch out for, though, is that some ISPs (particularly
large ones, it seems) use private IP numbers internally
within their networks, e.g. for their routers and stuff, so
you might see some of these supposedly non-routed IP numbers
appearing in the data stream from your ISP.

You should contact your ISP and ask them what address blocks
they have reserved for "link-local" addresses, i.e. what
addresses they do not route, so they are guaranteed to never
show up on their side of your modem.  If they haven't reserved
such a block, they don't know what they are doing.

- Bob