Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:13:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@ferginc.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Mark Hannon <mark@seeware.dialix.oz.au>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, epamha@epa.ericsson.se, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local X packages

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Mark Hannon wrote:
>
> > The app-defaults is easy to fix:
> > setenv XFILESEARCHPATH /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N:\
> >                        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N
> > I'm sure you could even compile that into the X distribution
> > if wanted.
> >
> > Otherwise what more needs to be done?  xmkmf would need to
> > be configured/cloned to allow one to use Imakefiles.
> >
> > I can't see any other reasons to not seperate the core X11
> > distribution from the rest of the packages.
>
> It has been a while, so I don't remember all the issues, but I
> spent a great deal of time trying to separate the core X
> distribution from locally installed applications and I finally
> gave up.

 I know that this can be done. Under the Langely ICE model, X11R6 is
 installed in /usr/local/X11R6-26.1/ and _all_ other packages are
 installed in /usr/local/packagename-rev/ so I will check into this
 when I have time and see how they did it.

  -branson

 Branson Matheson     | Ferguson Enterprises  | If you're falling off a
 System Administrator | W: (804) 874-7795     | mountian, you might as well
 Unix, Perl, WWW      | branson@ferginc.com   | attempt to fly.  -Delenn