Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:46:05 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARRRRGH!  Guys, who's breaking -STABLE's GMIRROR code?!

--WBsA/oQW3eTA3LlM

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 12:38:13PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> This is not cool folks.

I'm really sorry for the breakage. I'm trying to treat -STABLE very
gently, unfortunately this time I made a mistake.

The change was committed to HEAD at 9 August. The change fixed one bug,
but introduced another, which I didn't expected. The change seemed to be
trivial and I only tested that it fixes the bug I was tracking down, I
haven't looked for regressions.

After nearly one month in HEAD, I MFCed the change (at 4 September),
because I wanted it to be released in -BETAs, so people can test it if
they already didn't in HEAD and I was quite sure that after 1 month in
HEAD the change is ok.

I found the problem after 4 days (at 8 September) and backed the change
out from the RELENG_6 branch.

Once again, I'm really sorry, I'm trying not to make such surprises to
the users, unfortunately it sometimes happens and you have to be ready
that many changes goes to -STABLE branch just before release, so they
can be tested by a wider audience. That's why we prepare -BETAs and not
release -RELEASEs immediately.  I'm not writting this to justify my
mistake, just trying to show how you can avoid such bad days in the
future.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--WBsA/oQW3eTA3LlM