Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:57:54 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Colin House <colin@restecp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dig

On 21 August 2013, at 18:14, Colin House <colin@restecp.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/2013 9:34 AM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> There appears to be a problem with dig and the +trace option in 9.2.  =
I believe its also in 9.1.  The command:
>>=20
>> dig freebsd.org +trace
>>=20
>> Only yields a dumb response.  No useful information is provided.  =
Running the same command on FreeBSD 7.2 yields a complete trace with =
lots of useful information.
>=20
> Have you tested against another NS?  I ran into a similar problem when =
setting up unbound as a local recursor recently on a 9.1-STABLE =
(r251985) box.
<domain> @8.8.8.8 worked as expected.
>=20
> I found it was the access-control configuration of unbound.  Changing =
my "access-control: ::1 allow" to "access-control: ::1 allow_snoop" =
restored the +trace functionality.
>=20
> I'm not sure how this translates with bind.. Perhaps the defaults have =
changed between the versions that you're running (if you're running the =
base versions on 7.2 and 9.1) or your recursive server isn't allowing it =
on 9.2?  Fwiw, in unbound, "allow" allows recursive lookups, =
"allow_snoop" allows both recursive and non-recursive lookups.

After a bunch of testing, I have determined that the problem is the =
routers.  If I use my local DNS servers or remote ones, then it works on =
all three systems.  Three different routers block it somehow. =20=