Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:24:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mark@quickweb.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make World on RELENG_2_2 failing for last 2 weeks..

spork stands accused of saying:
> I've been having problems for the past couple of weeks as well.  Used to
> work fine...  I'm using the same supfile with the RELENG_2_2 tag that I'd
> used previously, but now the make is falling all over itself.
>
> To date I've:
>
> nuked the source tree and brought it back in via ftp (contrib isn't
> included for some reason).

Pointless waste of time (and without contrib it's unbuildable anyway).

> cvsup-ed that again.

... which is all that's required, as long as your cvsupfile is up to
date.

> So I guess the question is, if we've both "broke" our systems by using
> cvsup, how does one start over short of reinstalling?  Nuke the source
> tree again and install 2.2-RELEASE sources via sysinstall and try cvsup
> again?

I never suggested that your system was "broken" with CVSup; I am
suggesting that something is busted somewhere.  Whether it's The Vince
Problem (ie.  you are doing something different but expecting the
system to work out what you really mean), or something more subtle is
impossible to tell.

How about some more narrative?  Are you running "make world"?  Have you
set NOCLEAN or NOCLEANDIR?  Hmm?  We can't read your minds 8)