Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:05:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <uid0@catastrophe.net>
To:        Evan Sarmiento <evms@cs.bu.edu>
Cc:        <tenebrae_BSD@niceboots.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Active Directory

On or about Oct 7, 2001 at 15:17 [-0400] Evan Sarmiento proclaimed:

; I have indeed taken it to his superior, which is the Systems
; Analyist for Boston University. The Systems Analyist
; said he would have a chat with my school's technology coordinator
; about the situation, but said that this should
; not be happening.
;
; Hopefully, by the end of the week, I will be able to
; use my laptop on the network.

Unfortunately, you've just put yourself in a situation that makes your life
more difficult than it was to be. By going above his head, he now longer
will put trust in you about any matters, and quite frankly - won't listen
to you anymore than he did previously.

Candidly, I hate Novell and Microsoft products as they're crap. However,
there's a business need for them - they're for idiots that don't want to
think and/or don't want to waste their time dealing with bullshit matters
everyday (yes, all Unices have them, and if you think not YOU need to get
a clue).

Unfortuantely, Microsoft has come up with a fairly decent technology (by
most technology standards, it's "decent") when they designed AD (or ripped
it off, depending on who you believe). It's no more horrible than HTTP or
even LDAP. It's a piece of a puzzle - and how you incorporate your
technologies into it is what matters.

There's justifiable reasons for using Microsoft. There's justifiable
reasons for running VMS. There's justifiable reasons for running Tru64.

What we fail to realize as open source advocates is that there *is* a large
portion of the world that has existed without us in the past, and will
continue to do so. By assisting these corporate blokes in improving their
products by evaluating, testing and commenting on them, you'll push their
standards, and your own, further.

-#0