Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 03:16:15 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, bsd-locale@hauN.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: ISO_* -> ISO-* locale renaming

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 07:38:21 +0900, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> I still think that using X11 codeset name is better than using IANA
> registry due to the following problems.

X11 codeset registry is outdated and not maintained, as replies says.

>   If we use "ISO-8859-1", we are only compatible with Linux,
>   and we become incompatible with Solaris, Tru64 and IRIX.
>
>   Why do you think that it is better to become only compatible with
>   Linux?

This is not compatibility question at all. POSIX clearly says that codeset
names are 'implementation defined' - any variant will be right per POSIX.

FreeBSD either can maintain its own codeset registry or use 3rd party one
actively maintained.

> 2. What codeset name will you use for codesets which are available
>   on X Window System, but not defined in IANA registry?
>   (Yes, there is such codeset in locales supported by X11, already.)

If they are not in IANA registry, any variant will be right.

> 3. IANA registry (MIME charset name) is case insensitive.
>   Will you support case-insensitive codeset-suffix for locale name?

I don't think so, the same as for partial locale names - any relaxation
there make locale sensing from programs much harder, i.e. like missing
codeset name, etc.

> 4. IANA registry (MIME charset name) has many name variants in one
>   codeset. For example, "Extended_UNIX_Code_Packed_Format_for_Japanese",
>   "csEUCPkdFmtJapanese" are same codeset with "EUC-JP".
>   Will you support all variants for locale name?

There is 'preferred MIME names' marked. Since we currently support only
one name, we should use prefered one.

> 5. Why do you think that is is better *NOT* to follow OpenGroup
>   standard?

Because there is no such standard. As replies indicates, OpenGroup don't
attempt to cover this area. See reply about aardvark.

>   At least, "eucJP" and "SJIS" seem to be OpenGroup standard as I
>   already said. And those names are not compatible with IANA registry.

See my CFR for rename.

> 6. Do you really think that the following name should be usable
>   for locale name?
> 	"ja_JP.Extended_UNIX_Code_Packed_Format_for_Japanese"
>   (I don't think so.)

I too.

--
Andrey A. Chernov