Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 13:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Navigator-4.05 Problem?

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 1998, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:
> > In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:
> >
> > >At least since I have been using Navigator-4.05 (2.2.6) I have had
> > >the problem of navigator not picking up the bookmarks file when
> > >launched, nor does it write the bookmark file back out when
> > >closed. Instead, it drops a file in the directory in which Navigator
> > >was launched of the form -<pid> which contains the bookmarks. Anyone
> > >familiar with this? Is there anything I can do short of going back to
> > >4.04?
> >
> > You might have a LOCK file in your ~/.netscape directory.  Try
> > removing it (it's usually a symlink).
> >
> No I'm afraid that wasn't the problem. The lock always gets cleared when I
> quit netscape. Just to test, however, I went ahead and rm'd the lock while
> netscape was still running, and same problem. Is *anyone* else experiencing
> this problem?

Perhaps your preferences.js is corrupted?

Try grepping ~/.netscape/preferences.js for

	browser.bookmark_file

Mine has a line like:

user_pref("browser.bookmark_file", "/home/bkogawa/.netscape/bookmarks.html");

Perhaps Netscape has forgotten where the bookmarks file is kept, or can't
read/write the listed filename.

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/