Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:53:20 -0500
From:      haesu@towardex.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sourcing ICMP reply to a different ip address

Hi,

Is there anyway to source the ICMP reply (i.e. ttl-exceeded for traceroute) on
a FreeBSD box acting as router to an IP address different than the one bound on
the interface, in which the destination route is pointed at?

For example:

Let say we have an asymmetric routing situation here...

A client host is 1.2.3.4, and the FreeBSD box has fxp0 with 2.2.2.2, and fxp1
with 3.3.3.3,

Client runs traceroute to a host  routed by the FreeBSD router. The packet
arrives on FreeBSD router's FXP0 interface. But the route for 1.2.3.4 (client)
on router's routing table points out to FXP1.

Here in this case, the icmp ttl-exceeded message from the FreeBSD router will
be sourced from 3.3.3.3, which is the main ip address of FXP1 (hence, the
interface where route for 1.2.3.4(the client) is bound to)

I'm looking to make it so that if a packet arrives on FXP0, I'd like the FreeBSD
box to respond icmp ttl-exceeded OUT via FXP0, with source address of FXP0's IP.
So in other words, I'd like to have icmp replies go out via the interface the
packet originally hit the box, instead of via the interface that holds the
route for the source of the packet. This type of implementation is done on
some vendors (including Cisco) and sometimes can be helpful troubleshooting
asym. routing situations..

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
`
--
James Jun (formerly Haesu)
Network Operations