Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 10:00:54 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        VB <swive@getnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk space management helP?

VB wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have a 1.1 gig drive.  I freshly installed FBSD 4.4 release.  It took 70%
> of my drive just for the install and to download src and ports.  Then did
> "make world" and let it go.  Slowly but surely, df -k reported that the disk
> was filling.  Within 6 hours or so (its a 133mhz), the disk space had filled
> to "104%" and make world had failed with error code 1.  Why does FBSD take so
> much room?

Because you installed src and ports and you're making world.  That's a lot to
do with only 1.1g.

> HOw can I improve these results.  I think there must be someway
> to do a small install of fbsd and then make world to patch security problems.
> That's all I want to do.
>
> What should I do differently?

Do an install of *ONLY* the base system and src.  You should have about 500M
free.  Then cvsup and make world.  Then delete /usr/obj (and alternatively,
/usr/src).  Now you should have 700M or so free.  Go back to sysinstall and
install ports and/or any other distributions you want.

Or got to a used computer shop and spend ~$10 for a used 4G drive.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology