Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:27:54 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Alain Thivillon <at@rominet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVICE_POLLING and kern.polling.{suspect,lost_polls}

The short reply is that you have nothing to worry about.
The long reply is this:

short_ticks can happen when there is some system activity that
causes timer interrupts to occur later or earlier than they should.
I haven't found out why this happens (there are multiple possible
reasons), but it does happen, and it is independent of polling --
you see them on any FreeBSD system.

lost_polls is a normal event. It occurs sometimes because of
the way the polling scheduler works, and it is handled correctly
by the software.

"suspect" counts some strange events where a netisr is not properly
dispatched. I suspect a bug somewhere in the system, not related
to polling (maybe some missing "volatile" declaration or some
race condition).
Normally this bug is harmless, because schednetisr is
normally invoked even if there is already a pending netisr.
Polling tries to optimise this by not scheduling a netisr if
there is already a pending one, but this bug would cause a
stall. So i have implemented a workaround which quickly
detects the problem, flags it and recovers from it.
The fix does not cause any performance problem, though
of course I'd like to know why the netisr sometimes is not
dispatched...

	cheers
	luigi