Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:50:21 GMT
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@spqr.komquats.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/97468: [acpi] ACPI on ASUS A7V hangs on shutdown -p  (power off)

The following reply was made to PR i386/97468; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To: bug-followup <bug-followup@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: i386/97468: [acpi] ACPI on ASUS A7V hangs on shutdown -p
 (power off)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:44:18 -0700

 I have one of these. It powers off just nicely using halt -p and reboot -p.
 It will hang or just reboot on power off when the BIOS alarm setting is set
 in the power settings. This is not specific to just this board, I have
 three other machines with ASUS motherboards (CUSL2, CUSL2-C, and P3B-F),
 which behave the same way. (Please note that the CUSL2, CUSL2-C, and P3B-F
 are Pentium III's while the A7V is an AMD Athalon). An IBM P4 system at
 work does not exhibit this problem when the alarm setting is set in the
 BIOS. I have another PII machine, which I cannot recall what it is as I
 need to disassemble it to see which motherboard it has (it's not an ASUS
 but has an Award BIOS), that exhibits the same problem when the alarm
 setting is set in the BIOS. Turning off that setting allows FreeBSD to
 power down the system. Unfortunately I need to power down the systems at a
 certain time of day through cron and power them back up at another time of
 day, but that should be in another PR. Check your BIOS settings. I bet that
 the alarm setting is set in your BIOS.

 --
 Cheers,
 Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>