Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:35:48 +0000
From:      John Vinters <johnv@jbg.co.uk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

I've (reasonably) recently installed 4.3-Release on a system running
Samba and a few light telnet apps, and noticed similar performance
problems.

The SMB sessions would randomly change speed, and telnet sessions would
suffer from occasional  "hesitation" (this is on a Dual PIII-700 MHz
machine with 1 Gb of RAM, which is currently very lightly loaded).

I managed to track the problem down to the duplex settings on both the
Ethernet cards (AT-2500 TX, Realtek 8139 based, AFAIK) and the 10/100
Switch.  Forcing both the cards and the switch to particular settings
cured the problem, and lead to a massive performance increase.

FTP seems to be particularly badly affected by the constant collisions
(causing backoff).  The problem can be tricky to find as the switch
wasn't perceptably showing collisions on the collision LED, but viewing
the switch stats showed a different story!

I've noticed similar problems with Linux and certain cards (it was a
while ago).

John Vinters
<johnv@jbg.co.uk>