Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:28:44 -0600
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        Brian <brian@brianwhalen.net>, Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.1 Content

On 3 Sep 2008, at 5:59 PM, Randy Pratt wrote:

> The ports/packages are actually not part of FreeBSD but are third-
> party
> applications.  I've often thought that the packages on the
> installation
> disks should really be split to a separate project which produces
> package disks.  This would lessen the burden on the Release Engineers
> and perhaps the cycle time between releases.  It should also be
> noted that the useful life of a package is limited and outdated very
> quickly.

Hey, these great comments bring up a different solution, which may be
the way to go.

It is simple: have a few of the common apps that are net-centric (like
firefox) be simply calls to pkg_add -r in the installer.  No ports
databases, no packages on the discs.  A few packages may be useful
(like perl) to someone without net access, but many need the net to be
useful.

I often forget about pkg_add -r because I build everything from source
myself, but just a prompted dialog offering a few of the most common
and popular apps like:

* kde or gnome
* firefox or xxx_browser
* vnc
* openoffice

via pkg_add -r might be a very simple solution (no disk impact to
speak of) and perhaps could even be determined by a look at which pkgs
are installed the most from server logs (not dynamically, but just as
a way of offering common pkgs).

Dan