Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:27:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Chris Appleton <appleton_chris@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bridge vs router

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Chris Appleton wrote:

> I have a class c that i want to leave exposed but
> restrict port access.

ok. which ports? why? have you thought out what the breakdown of your
network is going to be?

> can i configure 4.4-release as a router that allows
> traffic to .1 (gateway) on rl0 and the rest of the
> subnet on rl1?

you could simply set it up as a bridge, or provide more interfaces, and
simply break down or route your class C.

> or is bridge the only way to split a subnet like that?
>  and if so is an ipfw bridge fast enough for 30-35
> nodes (some servers)?

ipfw should be fine, as long as the hardware you're running FreeBSD on is
able to keep up with it. i would suggest avoiding userland packetshaping
applications (natd, for example) since they would move packets out of the
kernel.

i would suggest figuring out how (or if) you want to break down your
subnet, then worry about firewalling it.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche