Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:11:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Larry Lile <lile@stdio.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dlane@yahoo.com
Subject:   async v. sync v. default mode on ufs

It was pointed out to me by a co-worker that FreeBSD has actually
three modes of operation for mounting ufs filesystems.  Could someone
please explain to me, and him, the differences between the three.

Also does anyone knows how these compare to sync and async on Linux?

Just a btw, you seem to be able to set sync and async on a filesystem
at the same time.  What gives?

dlane# mount -u -o sync,async,noatime /var dlane-printer# mount
/dev/wd0s1a on / (local, noatime, synchronous, writes: sync 405 async 23)
/dev/wd0s1e on /usr (local, noatime, synchronous, writes: sync 118365
async 83882)
/dev/wd0s1f on /var (asynchronous, local, noatime, synchronous, writes:
sync 93 async 216) procfs on /proc (local)
dlane#

/var looks questionable...

I would never try that on purpose, but it just kinda happened, and when I
looked at it I though "wow that's broken"!

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com