Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:32:36 -0500
From:      Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
To:        Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testers: VirtualBox 3.1.4 update

>> Bernard,
>>
>> I tested today with the latest NVIDIA for x64 and it ran for a couple
of
>> hours without a freeze.  But, it still froze.   I'm running 4 VM's now
>> for
>> a couple of hours with NV driver without issue.  It sounds like I need
>> suggestions.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Rusty Nejdl
>>

> Hey man, would it be possible for you to enable debugging options on
> your machine, start your VMs running, then switch to ttyv0, and let it
> run for while? This is the only way I can get a clean crash dump and
> generate any data -- I've never been able to "cleanly" crash my system
> running Xorg (it usually freezes).
>
> FYI, I'm running multiple VMs (Windows XP, 7), and I've experienced
> "freezes" running multiple VMs since using VirtualBox (which despite
> the lockups, I'm SOOOOO thankful to have on FreeBSD -- thanks again to
> all the VBox devs!!!!)...
>
> -Brandon

Brandon,

Mario Lobo and I have been working on this in the background and we found
that multiple cpu support in Virtualbox appears broken.  Any VM with more
than 1 CPU will freeze.

Mario was also able to find that using unganged memory also confuses
Virtualbox.  He enabled that in his motherboard and Virtualbox became more
stable.

I have been able to run 6 VM's at the same time, with compositing enabled,
and 3D acceleration in the VM as well, all with 1 CPU per VM only.

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl