Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 12:04:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), peter@spinner.dialix.com.au (Peter Wemm), uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV), phk@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, uhclem.ds3@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: bin/1037

<<On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:48:09 +0200, j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) said:

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Also, since nobody seems to care *too* much about this or we'd have
>> settled it in less than 2 years time, why not just let Frank commit it
>> and also take any of the potential heat if it doesn't work?

> Since this already turned into a typical proof of the Parkinson law, i
> don't object against this either.

Actually, I have a small problem with it.  However. I don't have any
better solution, but we should keep in mind that the proposed fix is a
hackaround for a more serious problem, that being a fairly fundamental
difference between TELNET's LINEMODE and POSIX's !ICANON + ISIG mode
works for programs such as csh (and also emacs in certain modes).  I
would prefer a more sophisticated approach that attempted to divine
more carefully which was the most useful behavior.  Certainly straight
ICANON|ISIG mode should still invoke LINEMODE and not the ancient old
line-at-a-time mode.

-GAWollman