Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:44:54 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mitzel@Ipsilon.COM (Danny J. Mitzel)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mitzel@Ipsilon.COM
Subject:   Re: reducing X server memory usage?

Danny J. Mitzel stands accused of saying:

> I just brought my machine up with FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE.  it is a
> pentium 133, 16MB memory, sony 17se monitor, and ATI mach64 framebuffer.

Why only 16?  A machine like that should have at _least_ 32M.

> I was told [locally] that the XFree86 server distributed with FreeBSD
> would not work with this monitor/framebuffer, so I loaded the X Inside

Not true.

> Accelerated X server we have.  I start up the X server in 1024x768
> 8bit color mode and the X server immediately occupies over 10M of memory
> [this is 75% of my real memory! :-[  opening an emacs and netscape
> immediatly puts me into thrashing mode :'(

Complain to Xinside, or use the distributed X server.  Note that you
may have problems with FreeBSD probing sio3 and the the Mach64, but
if you've gotten this far then that's obviously not the case.

> I'm wondering if there's anything I should check to reduce memory usage?
> is there another XFree86 X server that will support this monitor/framebuffer
> with less memory usage?  is FreeBSD+X11 usable on a 16M machine?

That depends on whether you're using an 8-bit video mode (yes) or something
deeper (no).  I run 1280x1024x16bpp here, and 32M is definitely a minimum
if you want to do much.

> danny

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[