Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 00:48:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Ed Hudson <elh@spnet.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Ed Hudson wrote:

> howdy.
>
>     maybe this has been discussed in 'hackers' or elsewhere,
>     before - i can't find a reference via the search interface.
>
>     i'm a long time freebsd user, and i've been struck by how much my
>     systems (3 of them)  have slowed down in its disk performance with
>     4.3-RELEASE, relative to 4.2-RELEASE and 4.1.1-RELEASE.

Write caching is now off by default.  man ata to see how to turn it back
on.

<begin divergance>

Seeing messages like this is becoming quite common on the lists since the
change was made.  On the other hand, I don't recall seeing any message
about disks being trashed when caching was enabled by default.  Given that
the option is tunable, perhaps it would be best to leave it enabled by
default.  Those concerned about power failures would still be able to
disable it if they wish.

With the extreme levels of annoying shown by those since the change, I
have the bad feeling that FreeBSD will get a reputation as being slower
than other OSes unless the default is returned to its previous state.

<end divergance>

Mike "Silby" Silbersack