Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:43:18 -0800
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: video card and X

> Does anybody recognize this ATI video card? Any suggestions for an
> appropriate driver to use with XFree86? I am running FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE.
>
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/front.jpg
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/back.jpg

http://support.ati.com/identify/index.html

You have a Xpert98 (XL version) 8 mB

for X most likely uses Mach64

look at your dmesg output for something like

pci1 <ATI Mach64-GB graphics accelerator> at 5.0 irq5

it's the Mach64 part that's important for X
the card list in the configurator really only
points to the chip. X servers are built to the
chips - you can build many X servers on one box
but only need the one for your video chip

you will probably end up with
XF86_Mach64, XF86_SVGA and XF86_VGA16
in /usr/X11R6/bin

cross check this info at the ati website
they have a good set of manuals, tech specs,
etc., but they have a wonky marketing method
of naming the same things in a lot of different
ways.

selecting horizontal & vertical hz for monitor
is as important (if not more) - check the specs
at the ati website

hope this helps