Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:02:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

> My interest lies in exactly the opposite direction: I want to stick
> a floppy in and have a box find an install server and follow a
> pre-defined recipe for building itself, ala Jumpstart or Kickstart.

And you're far from alone in wanting this, another reason I've been
wanting to go to a script-based installation for some time.  It's not
at all difficult to imagine an installer which comes in two-part form:

   /stand/setup
   /stand/setup.tcl

The latter actually containing just about *all* the user interaction
and "installer behavior" that the user experiences during an
installation of FreeBSD.  That means that if you want to modify the
installer to put "Case Western University Special Custom Installation"
at the top of the first menu and add lots of distributions of purely
academic (haha) interest to the appropriate submenus, it's a simple
matter of mounting a floppy and editing a text file.  Needless to say,
this would also make translation efforts a lot easier. :-)

- Jordan