Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:20:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16396: libtool -export-symbols doesn't restrict exported symbols

The following reply was made to PR ports/16396; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: ganssauge@mpwsoftware.de
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:15:57 -0800

 Hi,

 On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 12:47:33AM -0800, ganssauge@mpwsoftware.de wrote:
 > I'm using libtool-1.3.3 to produce a shared library with some routines written in C++.
 > The C++-Compiler I'm using is g++295 from ports on Nov 1, 1999.
 > The linker command line is
 >         libtool --mode=link g++295 -v -O -o $@ \
 >         `lorder $(OBJS) | tsort -q` \
 >         -rpath $(INSTALLDIR) -version-info $(MAJOR) \
 >         -export-symbols $(symbols)
 >
 > where $(symbols) contains the name of a file with all symbols to be
 > exported.
 > The library itself seems to work OK, but when I'm trying to use it with
 > a TCL-Extension strange crashes occur.
 > After tracing it back I finally found the cause:
 > The TCL-Extension, which itself is also using C++, calls library routines
 > from the first shlib which are, according to $(symbols) above, not supposed
 > to be exported but in fact are.

 Is this libtool-1.3.3 from ports?  If so then please try this with an
 unpatched libtool (just use ltmain.sh and ltconfig from
 libtool-1.3.3.tar.gz), and see if the problem is still present.

 Regards,
  -Jeremy

 --
 FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                            http://www.freebsd.org/