Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how mkdir without .. ?

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Aleksandr A.Babaylov wrote:

> I remember, that in really old UNIXes creating a dirertory
> and populating it with "." and ".." entryes was different
> steps, but I dont remember method (I was young and dumb then)

the mkdir command was something along the lines of:

main( argc, argv )
{
chdir(parentdir);
mknod("foo",I_DIR|modes);
link("foo", ".");
link(".","..");
}

This was on a version 7, or system V, filesystem.

It is no longer possible to use mknod to make a directory inode.  The
rasson for this is that some filesystems can not be made to support the
old semantics, and it is a good idea to have an atomic method to make a
directory.

> --
> @BABOLO      http://links.ru/

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat