Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 22:55:45 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading xmlto-0.0.24 to 0.0.25 failing

Am 23.07.2012 22:50, schrieb sindrome:
> Can't upgrade xmlto -- anyone have ideas?
>
> ===>  Building for xmlto-0.0.25
> make  all-am
> depbase=`echo xmlif/xmlif.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`; cc
> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.      -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -MT
> xmlif/xmlif.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o xmlif/xmlif.o
> xmlif/xmlif.c && mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
> cc  -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing   -o xmlif/xmlif xmlif/xmlif.o
> FORMAT_DIR=./format /usr/local/bin/bash ./xmlto -o man/man1 man

xmlto should not be trying to format manual pages during build, and it
seems to be lacking command line arguments in your case.

Note that xmlto 0.0.25 has been updated in February, so your update has
been a long time coming and may require some amount of manual work.

However, I do not recall having seen your problem, and the build
clusters are not complaining either, so it may be a local problem on
your computer (given the many other failing upgrades you have reported),
so check:

* when using networked file systems, if the server and client clocks
  are in synch (this is crucial!)

* that your disks use native file systems (ufs, zfs, or perhaps ext2fs)
  rather than underfeatured ones (msdosfs, for instance on
  an external disk, is insufficient)

* that your disks have sufficient free space (including free inodes)

* if your clock is erratic (virtual machines are notorious for that,
  and sometimes broken/aging/overheated/dirty hardware is causing that;
  check you don't have dust bunnies sitting around in heat sinks and
  that all extensions cards are properly seated)

* if your /usr/ports is completely updated

* if there are missed manual updates from /usr/ports/UPDATING

* if your system proper is a supported version and not in need of updating

If that's all working out, you can try:

- make sure that your ports tree is fully updated. In doubt,
  prepare for a c. 80 MB download and rebuild from scratch:

  rm -rf /usr/ports /var/db/portsnap/* && portsnap fetch extract

- fixing the pkg relations with pkgdb -F, possibly pkgdb -FLa

- upgrading in proper dependency order - try upgrading
  your upgrade tool first

- force-rebuilding portupgrade databases:
  pkgdb -fu ; portsdb -fu

- upgrading with portupgrade -R xmlto

- upgrading with portmaster instead:
  portmaster --check-depends