Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:21:07 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crystal Audio Card and pcm Driver

Mark.Hummel@hurlburt.af.mil wrote:

> Kent,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I'll take a look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT.  I'm using
> BSD 4.0 and BTW, I couldn't find any references to Crystal audio sound cards
> in the BSD Dairy. Could you give me a specific URL?

I wasn't thinking about Crystal Audio nearly as much as the overall
technique to add sound to FreeBSD. That works from SoundBlaster,
Crystal Audio, or Ensoniq. The big difference is at 4.0 you only have
to "./MAKEDEV snd0". When it is right, you can type "mixer" and have
it list levels. You have probably found that a "man csa" is not
terribly enlightening :).

I don't remember reading any messages on CSA cards and that doesn't
give you a list search. My luck with using the LINT as a source has
worked on the old SBC. The rest just came up with the default pcm
driver. I would assume that you start by adding the "pcm" driver. You
may also have to add the csa driver. It depends on the age of your
audio card and etc. Just remember that you have to do the MAKEDEV in
/dev after you do the make kernel sequence of config, make depend,
make, make install, and have rebooted to be using your new kernel. I
forgot to add this comment one time and had someone do the install and
then try to do the MAKEDEV. Of course, they were still using the old
kernel at that point and it didn't work.

You probably want to stay away from the VOXWARE drivers.

When you find what works, let us know so that it can be a search
topic.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart