Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2018 23:31:09 +0300
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.net>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Cc:        Mark Peek <mp@freebsd.org>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=c3=b8rgrav?= <des@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8p1 changes

--e7sW91Qf9WxzTaujtGEdAimN5k2EtpJ6Q
From: Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.net>
To: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
Cc: Mark Peek <mp@freebsd.org>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>,
 Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=c3=b8rgrav?=
 <des@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8p1
 changes

--3a9zlXDI7Z2P48EdQkgwMdVOMQOEfR5Wm

Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <e84b7b4a-89ab-2ad9-ac3a-e08b8491e5cc@yuripv.net>, Yuri=20
> Pankov write
> s:
>> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156)
>> --NAG3HGfiwhsHyGq3aNdsIv1NzTEMODbUH
>> From: Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.net>
>> To: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
>> Cc: Mark Peek <mp@freebsd.org>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>,
>>  Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =3D?UTF-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=3Dc3=3Db8rgra=
v?=3D
>>  <des@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <current@freebsd.org>
>> Subject: Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8=
p1
>>  changes
>>
>> --c7yUHUJpZYpJqOrOWLAb4sE3Rmh2alrdi
>>
>> Cy Schubert wrote:
>>> In message <913730b6-c6f0-60b8-a589-e89e872b7f42@yuripv.net>, Yuri=3D=
20
>>> Pankov write
>>> s:
>>
>>> l.gmail.
>
>>>  wro=3D3D

>>> interna=3D3D

>>> saw
>>> Workstation 15

>>> wasn=3D3DE2=3D3D
>>> don=3D3DE2=3D3D80=3D3D99=3D3D

>>> 'IPQoS=3D3D3Dthroughput=3D3D
>>> furth=3D3D

>> s,
>>> =3D20
>>> The patch assumes VMWARE_GUEST_WORKAROUND unconditionally. Is this=3D=
20
>>> intended?
>>
>> It's the added code that is ifdef'ed VMWARE_GUEST_WORKAROUND, so it ca=
>> be ripped out easily when no longer needed, and yes, it's enabled
>> unconditionally for now.  And the check itself is if 'kern.vm_guest'
>> reports 'vmware'.
>=20
> It doesn't look that conditional to me.

Indeed, and that's what I said exactly :-)  The added code is enabled
unconditionally, and the added code also has a check for vmware guest.
The ifdefs are there only to show that this is local addition, nothing el=
se.

I'm not saying it needs to be done this way, this is just something I
did quickly after installing yet another VM and forgetting to modify my
~/.ssh/config to include the workaround.