Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 18:24:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp again

On Sun, 13 Aug 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:

> In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.950813175548.4707B-100000@mocha.eng.umd.edu>, Chuck R
> obey writes:
> >First, the password.  I have to login anyways, to the annex, before I can
> >issue ppp, so I think the system has my username/password.  Do I need to
> >put something in ppp.secret, and why?
>
> ppp.secret is for CHAP authentication I think. Unless you are using
> CHAP (or are controlling who gets access to the control port (3000))
> you don't really need a ppp.secret.
>
> >I tried to add "delete default" and "add default HISADDR" in the linkup
> >file, but I got error messages indicating it wanted "delete dest gateway"
> >and "add dest mask gateway".  How do I do what I want?
>
> The correct thing to do for automatic operation is:
>
> add 0 <netmask> <remoteaddr>
>
> Even tho I may not connect to 158.152.1.194, I add a route to it the
> entry for my auto-dialout section. Then in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup I have
>
> MYADDR:
>  delete ALL
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> This should work. Unless you have gateways off your local ether
> subnet, that delete ALL shouldn't affect your ethernet.

I'm probably showing ignorance here, but if I don't set the default to
the tun0 port, how will stuff know that's the path to the world?  Stuff
like my named, and other network active stuff?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!