Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 09:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com>
To:        "Mark Felder" <feld@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please remove Perl from ports

Greetings Mark, and thank you for your thoughtful reply.
> I can't comment on the perl changes directly, but I can assure you that
> if you use port-mgmt/pkg  (pkgng) and build your ports into packages via
> ports-mgmt/poudriere you will have zero upgrade problems -- a simple
> "pkg upgrade" will handle the scenario properly. I really haven't tried
> following UPDATING with portmaster/portupgrade to see what happens. I'd
> suspect that portmaster is doing something wrong, but further
> investigation is really necessary to have a solid conclusion of what
> happened on your server(s).
While that sounds real nice. The *current* upgrade will need to
*successfully* complete, before attempting to "jump tracks", and
re-create an up(grade|date) policy. :)

> For the first time in ages the ports environment on FreeBSD is rapidly
> evolving. There are many, many new features that benefit the whole of
> the userbase and will ease support and deployment across the board.
> We're trying to limit turbulence, but sometimes things are
> unforeseeable. This is the nature of the incredible flexibility of
> FreeBSD's ports;
"there's more than one way to do something."
Sounds a bit "Perlish". :)

Thanks again.

--chris