Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:23:26 -0600
From:      Rich Neswold <rneswold@yahoo.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Palm Pilot development platform

Wasn't 15-Feb-2000, at 12:18PM, when Nik Clayton said:
> Before I wander off in to uncharted territories, is anyone here using
> FreeBSD as a development platform for the Palm Pilot?

Yes.

The are two attempts to bring the GNU tools up-to-date in developing palm
applications. I first tried John Marshall's implementation, but kept
getting compiler errors when building the tools. I tried to take notes of
all the mods I had to make, but the list grew too big.

I then found another person (Michael Sokolov) who was doing the same thing.
His version of the tools compiled cleanly and worked. You can download his
tarball at:

    ftp://ftp.jpsystems.com/prc-tools.0.6.0beta.tar.gz

You also need a resource compiler. A useful one can be found at:

    http://www.hig.se/~ardiri/development/palmIII/pilrc/index.html

I think I'd like to get John Marshall's version to work, because his
installation tries to build a C++ compiler, as well. Michael's version is
just a C compiler. But first I need to familiarize myself with Palm
development, so I went with the project that worked.

--
  Rich