Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:13:29 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@boulder.openware.com>
To:        avraad@nyqsdsn1.eq.gs.com, oi-users@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Purifying an OI app

> Are there any tricks to using Purify with OI apps?
> I have an app that works fine, but when I link it
> with Purify (3.0a) and run it, it dumps core - it
> never even displays the app window. Here is the
> traceback:

We found a bug in the error message extraction code which has been fixed
in the 4.6 release.  Don't know if this is tripping over it or not; it may be.
Purify 2 didn't seem to catch it.  Actually, to give credit where credit is
due, Kam @ pure found it and reported it to us.  I don't know if you can
prevent it with a .purify file entry or not.  I believe the error only occurred
when attempting to look up invalid error messages, but we never had a repeatable
test case; only some diffs from pure.  Our original code was obviously wrong,
and we applied the patch.

There is an array of tables for different classes of error messages, and we
were marching off the end of the array if we didn't find the message requested.