Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:44:32 -0700
From:      John Plevyak <jplevyak@inktomi.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6/3 on 3.2-STABLE - PROBLEM SOLVED

After rechecking all the jumpers it turns out that the supplier
had set the core voltage to 2.2V instead of 2.4V!

Thanx for all the help!

john

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 02:33:48PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I am experiencing reproducible crashes with FreeBSD (3.2-STABLE) on
> :a K6/3-450 running on an ASUS P5S-VM motherboard.  The problem is highly
> :repeatable (happens about 1/4 of the way through compiling the kernel)
> :and goes away if a K6/2-450 is substituted for the K6/3-450 with
> :all other things held equal.
>
>     Are you overclocking your K6/3-450?   Even if not, try running it at
>     a slower clock rate.
>
>     If reducing the clock fixes the problem, you might have a bad cpu or
>     you might have a grey-market cpu that was re-marked up for a higher clock
>     speed then it can actually handle.
>
> 						-Matt

John Bradley Plevyak,    PhD,    jplevyak@inktomi.com,     PGP KeyID: 051130BD
Inktomi Corporation,  1900 S. Norfolk Street,  Suite 310,  San Mateo, CA 94403
W:(650)653-2830 F:(650)653-2889 P:(888)491-1332/5103192436.4911332@pagenet.net