Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:33:57 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, kudzu@dnai.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: su: kerberos: not in root's ACL.

On Aug 08, 1997 at 04:26:27PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > However, what's unclear here is whether or not there is some
> > > "historical" behavior in having a trailing : in one's path result in
> > > an implicit inclusion of `.', something which is also a side-effect of
> > > what happens here.
> >
> > Well, it isn't just historical, but is a property of every single shell
> > I know; a null directory component is taken as an implicit '.'.  This
> > isn't just a trailing ':', but could also be a PATH like "/bin::/usr/bin".
> >
> > This behavior is also documented in the man page.  Was there something
> > else going on here that I missed?

[ snip ]

The topic was null directory components in the _shell's_ PATH being
a shorthand for adding ``.'' to the _shell's_ search path, not namei's
behavior when given a null directory component.

The comment about missing something was because I originally had no
idea as to what this had to do with kerberos.
--
Jonathan