Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:35:31 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review - header cleanups

Said Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>:
> Possible implementations:
> 1) Do the same things as are planned for `struct timespec': use a tiny
>    header that declares just `struct mtx' and include this header as
>    necessary.

Ok so this would be a header with only the "struct mtx { ... };" in it,
and it would be included in all the headers that need to know the size
and shape of struct mtx (including sys/mutex.h)?

> 2) Do the same things as are done for size_t: define a macro that declares
>    `struct mtx' in a not so tiny secondary header; include this header and
>    expand it as necessary.  This is uglier than (1), but doesn't require
>    so many headers.

I think I prefer 1).

> 3) Combination/variation of on (1)-(2): conditionally declare various
>    structs and types in a not so tiny secondary header; include this
>    header with only the required declarations selected.  This method is
>    used in glibc.  This is not as ugly as (2), but I think it is slower
>    than both (1) and (2).

ONE header to declare _all_/lots_of the "internal" structures? Hmmm...

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn