Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2014 11:19:04 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about portmaster

--gsP4uoj1uPT4s08nVvJcJJ2v3TDwstjp1

On 07/02/2014 18:46, Warren Block wrote:
>> I have a little problem with xorg deps that I get errors,
>> I run
>> # portmaster --check-depends
>> but I am afraid to mess up, how can I fix these once and for all?
>> ``
>> pkg_version: corrupted record for package icon-naming-utils-0.8.90_1
>> (pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
>=20
> I don't know a specific answer to this, it probably means that some
> dependencies are missing, but it did make me realize that this error ha=
> not appeared since I switched pkg(8).

Absolutely.  You won't get this error with pkg(8) -- it's just not
possible to get that sort of corruption in the local.sqlite schema
pkg(8) uses.  (All too easy with pkg_tools as anyone who has used
portmaster+pkg_tools will testify.)

To fix the OP's problem once and for all:

     # /usr/sbin/pkg -v
     [ Answer the prompts in the affirmative ]
     # pkg2ng -p
     # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=3DYES' >> /etc/make.conf
     # pkg check -ad
     [ Optional -- this will point up any missing dependencies ]

When running 'pkg check' you will be prompted to install missing
packages from whatever repository (if any) you have configured.  If
you're going to be building everything from ports, at that point you
should take note of what is missing, quit out of 'pkg check' and build
the missing bits using portmaster.  (In fact, you'll probably find that
there aren't actually any missing bits: what's gone wrong is recording
which package is required by which other package correctly.)

Yes, this is quite a radical solution, but it's the only way to achieve
that 'once and for all' condition.  You can use 'portmaster
--check-depends' to fix things up, but eventually the problem will recur
if you stick with pkg_tools.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20