Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:01:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

>    Uh, I think it is reasonable to assume that disk drives have contiguous
> block numbers (except for replacement blocks of course). Sorting by block
> number is the most optimal way of sorting that we can do in FreeBSD.

If you knew physical cylinder boundries, you could do gathering,
as well.

In SCSI II, it's possible to know this.  It's also possible on all
ST506 and ESDI hardware, and, I think, on EIDE.

I'm sure that, now we've brought it up, it will be implemented in
Linux next week... 8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---