Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2013 18:01:35 -0500
From:      ito <egunther@warwick.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loud fan pavilion ze2000

Hello Ian,

At 50 through 62C the dev.cpu.0.freq: 1298

at 70C , 1135

back up to 1298

   dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1298/-1 1298/-1 973/-1 811/-1
649/-1 486/-1 324/-1 162/-1

              Also directly below that:

   dev.p4tcc.0.freq_settings: 10000/-1 8750/-1 7500/-1 6250/-1   5000/-1
3750/-1 2500/-1 1250/-1

I suppose that is the 8 (freq_levels) you where referring to.  Further I
infer that this -1 means that the BIOS has set them or does set them.

I set hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 70C

Trying "find / acpi" to see it work.

While doing the above (find) the fan is on but not full out.

I am reluctant to type anything like dd: anything: I'm not really that
confident with the command line.

After setting the PSV value it does not go above 71 when rendering
animation with blender.

I will try cleaning it again, but I think I remember that I thought
cleaning would fix it before.

I looked at acpi_thermal, have to digest it.

Found the source online for freebsd acpi.

So I guess that I could adjust the throttling, through the process that
the machine uses to save power??

As far as what the system does, so far the only thing that I noticed is,
in TOP;

acpi_cooling0     cooling
acpi_thermal      tz0poll

intr              changing
pagezero          pagezero

and system idle percentage change.

Thanks,

eg

PS, is this the exact command?
"   dd if=/dev/random > of=/dev/null     "