Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:28:07 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: linux ports (Re: Netscape 6 Linux pre-release, got it going.)

Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

>  * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
>
> (Don't know if Marcel is on -ports, so CC:d explicitly.)

I'm not (yet) on -ports. Thanks.

>  * I don't think we should be breaking up the current linux_base or linux_dev
>  * ports, because those are (supposed to be) default Redhat installs so
>  * redhat linux binaries get the environment they are expecting.
>
> I wasn't aware that they are "default" RedHat installations.  (Why are
> there two?)  But in any case, if there is a reason why the current
> sets are designed that way, it's fine for me.

The linux_base port is supposed to install just enough packages to mimic
a RH base installation. It uses (supposed to use) as much native FreeBSD
tools as is compatibility-wise possible.

On top of that other packages can be installed that "extend" the base
installation. Currently only linux_devtools exists.

We've added X related rpms to linux_base because there was no point in
creating a linux_x11 port that only installs a single (or maybe 2) rpms.
I'm not in favor of adding too much X related packages to linux_base. I
prefer to create a new port that contains X "stuff" in that case.

>  * For additional packages, having monolithic RPM sets seems to me to be
>  * bloat - why can't we set up a 1-1 mapping of RPM to package, perhaps by a
>  * single "portal" redhat rpm port which grabs an RPM from the redhat site
>  * (possibly choosing from a list as an option), munges it to extract the
>  * PLIST and installs it?
>
> I don't mind, as long as the maintenance isn't too hard and users can
> install/deinstall those packages just like normal FreeBSD ports.

The problem may be that we would have 2 systems that specify and use
dependencies; our ports collection and the rpms. Having a system that
works requires us to either 1) duplicate rpm dependencies into the ports
tree (=static) or 2) add a way to extract rpm dependencies from the
database/rpms on the fly (=dynamic).

NOTE: rpm dependencies may be too inconsistent to be done dynamicly.
Normally you would specify only packages (rpms) as dependency, but in
this case there may also be (installed) files in the dependency list.
There's no easy way to find out which packages you must download/install
in order to resolve such a dependency...

Having a way to download and install rpms that are required by a port
seems like a good idea. It avoids bloating linux_base or creating
additional ports (which only increases the overall complexity of setting
up /compat/linux).

Food for thought: There are more (too much?) packaging systems. rpm is
used by RH, but if we allow or have other distributions as well (not
necessarily Linux), we automaticly come to a need of "integrating" their
packaging systems as well.  In other words: If we add support for rpm,
we should expect that people will ask to support their favorite
packaging system as well...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org