Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:11:20 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@totum.plaut.de>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, FreeBSD-Current <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

Michael Reifenberger <root@totum.plaut.de> wrote:

> > Could it somehow be a shell "builtin" pwd that is looking at a $PWD that
> > gets set/cleared oddly? Does everyone have the same shell getting run for
> > the makefile commands? I don't know...just grasping for some straws...:-)
> >

> It's worse than that:
>
> (totum)(root) # which pwd
> pwd:     aliased to echo $cwd
>
> It is defined in my ~/.tcshrc

Does removing it from there actually fix the problem?

Well...the reason I was saying "grasping for some straws" was that I assumed
that the make file would be using /bin/sh to run its commands and use a pwd
command that _shouldn't_ be influenced by the environment at all. I think
I've heard people (one of those vague recollections from the recesses of my
mind) talk about "smart" pwd commands that look at the inherited $PWD and,
if it is still in that directory, will use $PWD.  If the current directory
isn't the same as $PWD, it would do a real getcwd() since the $PWD has
obviously been inherited thru programs that don't maintain it (e.g. /bin/sh,
typically).  Could that kind of stuff being going on here?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org