Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 21:30:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        jmutter@netwalk.com
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Man pages aren't formatting correctly -

> :> Can anyone help with this one?
> :>
> :> bash-2.02$ man csh
> :> The  is  a  command  language interpreter incorporating a history
> :> mechanism (see job control facilities (see interactive file  name
> :> and  user  name  completion  (see and a C-like syntax. It is used
> :> both as an interactive login shell and  a  shell  script  command
> :> processor.   If  the  first argument (argument 0) to the shell is
> :> then this is a login shell.  A login shell also can be  specified
> :> by  invoking  the  shell with the flag as the only argument.  The
> :> rest of the flag arguments are interpreted as follows: This  flag
> :> forces  a  ``break''  from option processing, causing any further
> :> <snipped - you get the point>
> :
> :   Man pages are always formatted justified as shown above.
> :
> Maybe I should have included the entire page, I didn't think that that
> would be necessary.  The problem is that these pages are missing
> things like newlines, highlighting, tabs, etc... Everything that makes
> them readable.
>
> See the attached 'csh.manpage' for an example.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jim
[.....]

The whole page was probably a bit too much ;-}

I don't know what your problem is, but the page looks like it's been
processed with the wrong macro package.  Check out the difference
when you

  cd /usr/share/man/man8
  gzcat ppp.8.gz | groff -Tascii | more

as distinct from the more expected

  cd /usr/share/man/man8
  gzcat ppp.8.gz | groff -Tascii -mandoc | more

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;