Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:08:11 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages from bt driver

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 06:07:27PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >I've had no disk errors since we made the quirk entries. If my
> >understanding is correct, the quirk entries were made because the
> >controller didn't handle SCSI_STATUS_QUEUE_FULL correctly (in
> >cam_periph.c)?
> >
> >But now I see the following, which I understand to be only
> >informational messages, but still curious as to the source:
> >
> >Mar 16 11:20:17 fern /kernel: (pass0:bt0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 32
> >Mar 16 11:20:23 fern /kernel: (pass0:bt0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 2
>
> My guess is that the controller is returning a data run error with a
> residual of 0.  See the comment at ~ line 1613 of sys/dev/buslogic/bt.c
> or just search for "QUEUE_FULL" until you find the comment.  If you
> could stick a printf in there to verify this, that would be great.
> In the mean time, I'm going to try to get some information out of
> Mylex on this issue.

I inserted a printf in bt.c, please see patch below to verify it will
print the necessary info. If it's not right, let me know and I'll make
whatever adjustments you like.

I don't know if it's important or not, but my bt.c was apparently
somewhat older. I cvsup'ed the latest rev today before inserting the
printf. Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy of the version I had
before I ran cvsup, so I don't really know what changes were made. I
know that my last previous cvsup/make world was March 6, and I *think*
the date on the bt.c I was running was Dec 21. Anyway, I thought I
should mention it in case any changes have been made in bt.c that
would affect things that we're looking at now.

I will send along any pertinent kernel output when it occurs.

Thanks Justin.

Chuck

*** bt.c.orig	Sun Mar 21 17:15:01 1999
--- bt.c	Sun Mar 21 18:01:19 1999
***************
*** 1608,1613 ****
--- 1608,1616 ----
  		/* An error occured */
  		switch(bccb->hccb.btstat) {
  		case BTSTAT_DATARUN_ERROR:
+ 			xpt_print_path(csio->ccb_h.path);
+                         printf("BTSTAT_DATARUN_ERROR: data_len == %d\n",
+ 			       bccb->hccb.data_len);
  			if (bccb->hccb.data_len == 0) {
  				/*
  				 * At least firmware 4.22, does this