Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:06:30 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        schilling <schilling@home.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!!

John wrote:

> Have you gone through the steps of building yourself a custom kernel? Or
> have you just used the Generic one?  If you bought "The Complete FreeBSD"
> there's a good section in there on building a custom kernel.  If not, in
> the online handbook there's info at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html
>
> In the end run, did you include support for your new ethernet card in your
> kernel, recompile & reinstall the kernel?  According to the LINT file
> (typically in /sys/i386/conf), you need the following:
>
> device ex0 at isa? port? net irq?

Check the HARDWARE.TXT for the "ie0" device. That seems to cover his
NIC. The ex0 is an EtherExpress Pro 10 and not an EtherExpress 16.

Kent

> Since I haven't played with many ISA devices, I'm not sure if you'll need
> more information  included or not.  Since it seems like you had an ethernet
> card previously installed, I'm assuming that you have the following line
> already included in your kernel? :
>
> pseudo-device           ether
>
> If you haven't already built your custom kernel, you really need to do that
> first.  Start by copying the GENERIC file and editing that to your needs,
> pulling in any information from the LINT file that you need.
>
> Hope that helps....
> --John Papalia
>
> >Please someone help me out a little bit here
> >First of all: i'm a newbie !
> >I recently installed 3.2-release ...
> >Now i've changed my nic and i can't really
> >get it working ....
> >How and "where" do i tell my system to use
> >the new nic ...
> >The nic is an Intel Etherexpress 16 ISA ...
> >Port now: 300  IRQ now: 3
> >
> >Please help
> >
> >/schilling

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html