Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:00:11 -0500
From:      "Jacob Suter" <jsuter@moon.intrastar.net>
To:        "Kevin Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, "FreeBSD-questions" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD-ISP" <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem connecting to K56Flex PM-3

> The ISP that I subscribe to and I are having trouble
> understanding why I cannot connect to there upgraded
> Portmaster 3 K56Flex with my Taicom (cheap) MU32PV 14.4
> internal UMC V.32bis/FAX/VOICE MODEM,  S/W  Ver 6.05/ V1.0-A.

In my experience all 'cheap' (read: 'low quality components') modems have
compatability problems.  'cheap' modems usually have problems handling odd
things (I'm sure the kflex modem tone-up is a bit different), and it just
hoses the modem and you don't get the results you want to...  I've
personally had this problem with every modem since a 2400...  Cheaper in
price generally doesn't mean its less expensive :)

>From my experience, Supra has been my best modems yet, but I haven't tried
to use kflex (our switch is a real classic - DMS-10, with plenty of its own
problems causing us not to be able to use it), but I'd suspect they would
be making a quality kflex capable modem pretty cheap.

Good luck,
Jacob Suter
Intrastellar Internet Service