Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:43:05 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad sector undetected by FreeBSD install

Hi,

A friend of me is installing FreeBSD 4.1.1-R from the CD. It seems the CD was
missing the fdwrite.exe program needed to write the floppy images from
(Win)DO(w)S. So we used rawrite.exe from a Linux CD. No problemo.

But... During the install, *after* the format, FreeBSD complains about the
harddisk and crashes. Now my friend says he knows there's a bad block on the
disk *somewhere*, but it seems to appear okay in some cases.

My question: Does the FreeBSD 4.1.1-R install check bad blocks? And if it
doesn't, is there a way to enable it?

Ernst