Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:48:40 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recompiling sources with "-O2 -m486 -pipe"

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 10:46:28PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Some postings in DejaNews claim that the -mno-486 runs faster on a Pentium
> > (than -m486).  Other postings say just the opposite.
>
> -m486 optimises alignment for the '486 by padding.  On the Pentium and
> above alignment is not so significant,

This is a very, very interesting statement.  Unfortunately, it is also
false.

The _only_ thing I've found that affect PPro timing much is
alignement, and alignment of inner loops can make a 50% speed
difference.  It caused me a lot of hassle until I found out about it
("Why the **** does changing that instruction, which is 20
instructions before the main loop, speed up things by 30%?")

> and the padding wastes space in the cache and time for fetching and
> discarding.  Unless you intend to only run on a 486, it is generally
> wrong to use it.

What does it align to?  PPro want alignment of the start of inner
loops on a 16-byte boundary, IIRC...

Eivind.