Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 95 11:38:12 GMT
From:      Charlie Conklin <charlie_conklin@il.us.swissbank.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   multiple IP addresses trick

I was trying last night to make my FreeBSD 2.05 respond to more
than one IP address, in preparation for making an Apache web server
do virtual hosts. What I tried was adding in /etc/netstart the
entry:
	ifconfig ep0 inet 194.72.241.100 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
Just after ./sysconfig is read.

My "real" IP address is 194.72.241.1, and it is a class C address.

This really seemed to confuse my machine!

Is this the right way to do this? I have not done any of the DNS
changes necessary to make the new hostname (domain) resolve, but
I thought that the above would be enough to simply ping the IP
address.

Thanks...

- Charlie Conklin	conklic@swissbank.com