Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:35:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, heo@cslsun10.sogang.ac.kr, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnode and cluster read-ahead

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, John Dyson wrote:

> > You could maintain a number of 'pending readahead' structures indexed by
> > vnode and block number.  Each call to cluster_read would check for a
> > pending readahead by hashing.  For efficiency, keep a pointer to the last
> > readahead structure used by cluster_read in the vnode in place of the
> > existing in-vnode readahead data.  Should be no slower than the current
> > system for single process reads and it saves 4 bytes per vnode :-).
> >
> Pretty cool idea.  I am remembering now that this deficiency in our read
> ahead code is well known.  This might be something really good for 2.3 or
> 3.1 :-).  (Unless someone else wants to implement it -- hint hint :-)).

On the subject of saving memory, I firmly believe that signficant
performance improvements can be made just by reducing the memory footprint
of algorithms.  In our 3D graphics work, we have found that making
important datastructures fit into cache lines (and using an aligning
allocator to make sure that they start on cache line boundaries) can
improve performance by as much as 20%.

When future processors from Intel will have clock speeds of 400Mhz and
above but have a 75Mhz memory bus to level 2 cache, this will become even
more important towards the end of '97 and beyond.  The size of a piece of
software and its memory usage patterns will dominate its performance
profile.  Maybe we need a 'Campaign for Small Software' :-).

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761