Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:08:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        benetton@netgate.comintur.com.uy (Fabrizio Cuturi)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I have error in regereneration

Fabrizio Cuturi writes:
> I tried to make a generation of a new kernel simply with
> cd  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> cp  GENERIC  IVS
> /usr/sbin/config  IVS
> cd ../../compile/IVS
> make
>
> And after a while I receive a message :
>
> myname /kernel: pid 190: cc1: uid 0: exited on signal 11
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> *** Error code 1
>
> Any suggestions ?

It's a segmentation violation.  If it happens here, as Doug says, it's
probably an indication of hardware problems.  A typical culprit is
cache; try disabling cache from BIOS and see if it still happens
(it'll be *really* slow, but at least you can figure out if you're
looking in the right place).  Another possibility we saw recently was
a defective SCSI controller (in this case, NCR, but I don't think
that's relevant).

> PD Where I can search for an explanation of the signals and errors codes ?

The signals are defined in /usr/include/sys/signal.h, and the errors
are in /usr/include/errno.h.  In each case, the description is really
intended for people who already understand the system.  If you need
more explanations, a good book on programming is probably your best
bet.  There aren't many non-programming books which explain them.  I
go into some detail about signals in "Porting UNIX Software", but I
don't mention error numbers much.

Greg